Neighborhood

Le Marais : History
Le Marais (« The Marsh) is a historic district in Paris, France. Long the aristocratic district of Paris it hosts many outstanding architectural buildings. It spreads across parts of the 3rd and 4th arrondissements in Paris (on the Rive Droite, or Right Bank, of the Seine).  Development of this sector of Paris began in the 12th Century AD when a religious order called The Order of the Temple established its fortified church there.  In the 17th Century AD, after the construction of Place des Vosges was completed, the area became the primary residence site of the French nobility.  Many of the mansions still stand today.

 

Place des Vosges
Originally known as the Place Royale, the Place des Vosges was built by Henri IV from 1605 to 1612. A true square (140 m x 140 m), it embodied the first European program of royal city planning. It was built on the site of the Hôtel des Tournelles and its gardens, Catherine de Medicis had the Gothic pile demolished, and she removed to the Louvre.  The symmetry of the architecture of Place des Vosges is well known but the residences behind the facades are each unique and some can be visited.  One such mansion is The Maison Victor Hugo, now a museum devoted to the life of this famous French writer.
Le centre George Pompidou  » Beaubourg  »
Centre Georges Pompidou is a complex in the Beaubourg area of the 4th arrondissement of Paris, near Les Halles, rue Montorgueil and the Marais. It was designed in the style of high-tech architecture.  It houses the Bibliothèque publique d’information, a vast public library, the Musée National d’Art Moderne which is the largest museum for modern art in Europe, and IRCAM, a centre for music and acoustic research. Because of its location, the Centre is known locally as Beaubourg .  It is named after Georges Pompidou, the President of France from 1969 to 1974 who initiated its creation, and was officially opened on 31 January 1977 by then-French President Valéry Giscard d’Estaing. The Centre Pompidou has had over 150 million visitors since 1977.
Le Louvre
Louvre Museum is one of the world’s largest museums, the most visited art museum in the world and a historic monument. A central landmark of Paris, it is located on the Right Bank of the Seine in the 1st arrondissement (district). Nearly 35,000 objects from prehistory to the 19th century are exhibited over an area of 60,600 square metres (652,300 square feet).
 Le Musée Carnavalet
The Carnavalet Museum was acquired by the City of Paris in 1880 and is dedicated to the history of the city.  A famous statue of Louis XIV is situated in the center of its beautiful gardens.  This museum is open Tuesdays to Sundays from 10 am to 6 pm where its permanent collection can be visited for free.
 Le musée Picasso
The Musée Picasso is an art gallery located in the Hôtel Salé in rue de Thorigny, in the Marais district of Paris. The hôtel particulier that houses the collection was built between 1656 and 1659 for Pierre Aubert, seigneur de Fontenay, a tax farmer who became rich collecting the gabelle or salt tax (the name of the building means « salted »). The architect was Jean Boullier from Bourges, also known as Boullier de Bourges; sculpture was carried out by the brothers Gaspard and Balthazard Marsy and by Martin Desjardins.[1] It is considered to be one of the finest historic houses in the Marais.
 La bibliothèque Historique de Paris
The Bibliothèque historique de la ville de Paris, commonly abbreviated with the acronym BHVP, is a public library specializing in the history of the city of Paris. It has been located, since 1969, in the hôtel d’Angoulême Lamoignon at 24 rue Pavée, in the Marais (4th arrondissement) in Paris.
 Archives nationales
The Archives nationales has been located since 1808 in a group of buildings comprising the Hôtel de Soubise and the Hôtel de Rohan in the district of Le Marais in Paris. This centre stores all the documents and records from before 1958 (except the documents and records concerning former French colonies) as well as the archives of the French heads of state. Since 1867 it has also housed the Musée de l’Histoire de France.
 Le marché des enfants Rouges
Le Marche des Enfants Rouges is the oldest food market in Paris, built in 1615 under the rule of King Louis XIII. The name literally means “ Market of the Red Children” and was named as such because of a nearby 17th century orphanage where the children wore red uniforms.  Located in the chic northern part of the Marais, Le Marche des Enfants Rouges is a compact indoor market with a small iron-gate entrance that’s easy to miss if you aren’t looking for it.